Monday, August 9, 2010

Ramona and Beezus

I spent some time earlier today complaining about movies I don't like, and I guess the universe thought it only fair that I spend some time on a movie I loved!

So let me just come right out and say that Ramona and Beezus is absolutely one of the best movies I've seen in a long time :)

It's not an epic love story, or a wild adventure, or a brilliant mystery. It is, simply put, a very very good, feel-good family movie. Perhaps it's just exactly what I needed right now. It was a casual, but heartfelt reminder of all the joy that can come from leading a simple life doing the things you enjoy, surrounding yourself with people you love, and having a little imagination.

Wanting the house and family portrayed in the movies has always been a bit of a cliche, but normally it refers to a big expensive house with perfect landscaping and a lived-in but still somehow perfectly coordinated and tidy interior. And I'd be lying if I said I haven't dreamed of the same thing many times over. But, tonight at least, I can honestly say that if I end up with the kind of home portrayed in this movie, with a cluttered basement and a creaky attic, crayon drawings tacked up on the wall, a quirky family I love more than anything in the world and nosy neighbors that are really just extended family, I would consider myself blessed beyond my wildest dreams.

I give this movie 6 stars. If you like laughing, crying, or simply remembering all the good things in life, you need to go see this movie as soon as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment