Monday, August 9, 2010

3D or Not to Be: A Challenge to Hollywood and Optometrists

I just want to rant for a minute about the epidemic of 3D movies going around currently. I, like most other people out there, appreciate the novelty of the occasional movie that is released in 3D in order to enhance certain aspects of production or give it that "edge" it needs to succeed in the box office.

However, it seems like today every other movie I hear about is coming out in 3D. It is no longer limited to animated films, and in some cases I have to wonder if it's even appropriate. I mean, really? How many people need to see the blood and gore of the Saw franchise in 3D? And sometimes it's hard to even find a theater that has an option to NOT see certain titles in 3D! Based on memory and a quick search online, here is a (non-comprehensive) list of the major movies from 2010 that have been, or are yet to be, released in 3D (the label "major" being subjective here). In no particular order:

~How to Train Your Dragon
~Clash of the Titans
~Shrek Forever After
~Toy Story 3
~Despicable Me
~Cats & Dogs: the Revenge of Kitty Galore
~Step Up 3D
~Saw VII aka Saw 3D
~Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I
~Tron Legacy
~Alice in Wonderland
~The Last Airbender
~The Chronicles of Narnia: the Voyage of the Dawn Treader
~Avatar
(I realize this was released in 2009 but it was in theaters for so long I thought it appropriate to include it)

I realize these were not all released solely in 3D, and I again want to point out that I enjoy the occasional 3D movie. But if this trend continues, I'm afraid that I'm going to be forced to pay an extra $2+ and wear those uncomfortable 3D glasses through every movie I have any desire to see in theaters in coming years. Based on this site, there were 165 movies from 1953 to 2009 released in 3D. That's over a span of 56 years. There are (again, according to that same site) currently 94 movies that have been released or scheduled for release in 3D from 2010 to 2012.

And with the invention of 3D DVDs and TVs (which, from what I can tell, you still have to wear those glasses in order to benefit from) I don't see a stop to this trend anytime soon.

I love the movies. I am a classic movie lover. Ask any of my friends, and they will tell you that I am probably the exact target audience that most movie producers are trying to cater to. I laugh, I cry, I scream- a LOT. I've been told more than once that going to see a movie with me actually enhances the experience for others because of how much of a kick they get out of seeing my responses. I don't say this with any personal agenda in mind, but simply to further express how much I truly love movies. Schedule and bank account allowing, I am pretty much always willing to spend the extra $$ on the stadium seating, popcorn, coke and candy that "going to the movies" involves. And I want it to stay that way!

But between the headache I always come away from a 3D movie with- either due to the way the glasses sit on my nose, or from trying to watch without the glasses to give my nose a break- and the spike in ticket costs for 3D showings, I'm not sure I'll feel the same if things continue in this direction.

So I am officially lodging a complaint and making a plea to Hollywood and/or eye doctors everywhere: Let's either cut back on the 3D production, or start developing some truly comfortable, uniquely fitted 3D glasses available for permanent, PERSONAL purchase. If theaters don't have to provide glasses for everyone coming to see 3D films, perhaps the cost will drop back to that of a normal movie ticket, and we can all go back to simply enjoying a night out at the movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment