Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Olfactory Memories

As I was driving home from a friend's tonight, I had my windows down and I realized it was finally that time of year. The honeysuckle is back :)

When asked what my favorite smells are, I normally list anything related to water or other "fresh" smells. Any scent that has cotton, linen, rain, water, mountain spring, etc listed in it is normally a fave. And while I do still appreciate those, I think tonight I finally came to a realization that I do have a true favorite. Seasonally, anyways.

When I smell honeysuckle, it just makes me happy. Not that warm, safe, comfortable happy when you smell fresh baked cookies that reminds you of coming home, or that kind of happy that reminds you of being on vacation when you smell sea salt and fresh pineapple. I'm talking out for the summer, not a care in the world, staying out late, catching fireflies, running through the neighborhood playing flashlight tag with your friends happy. I think of walking down to the corner store to buy ice cream and stopping when you catch a whiff of that familiar scent; following your nose until you find those little yellow and white flowers, and then spending the next 15 minutes trying to find the blossom with the biggest, sweetest, single drop of honey waiting just for you.

When I smell honeysuckle, I know summer's here. And even if that doesn't mean the same thing now as it did when I was 12, it still brings with it a mental sigh of relief, along with a sense of excitement at what adventures lay in store as the days grow longer. I'm looking forward to the surprises this summer still holds...

No comments:

Post a Comment