Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Stories and Swimming

Well today's been pretty uneventful at work so far.  I've been seriously considering starting some laser hair removal treatments through American Laser Centers (I got a really good deal through some event I went to with a friend and it's something I've been really wanting to do for a while), so I've been spending some time trying to look through the reviews.  Only the office I was going to go to doesn't seem to have many good reviews online. So now I'm not so sure again. If I end up going through with it, I'll let yall know how it goes.

Watched last night's episode of No Ordinary Family on my lunch break today. It's one of several shows that I'm following now. lol. During the off weeks for my normal shows, when I don't have anything else to catch up on over lunch I start just looking around online at what else looks interesting, then I always end up watching from the beginning, getting all caught up, and next thing you know by the time the seasons are starting back up, I've found myself another show that I'm "following". Here's my current list:
Desperate Housewives
Grey's Anatomy
Private Practice
One Tree Hill
No Ordinary Family
Vampire Diaries
Hellcats
V
The Event
America's Next Top Model (when it's in season)
*I also watched the whole of Ugly Betty
*I have now started watching Cougar Town online, though I'm not quite up to speed yet
I think that's everything. Sad, huh? Assuming I waste an hour on each of those shows (among other one-offs) each week, look how many hours a week I could be doing something productive? Checking off one of those many items you've all seen several times on my "do this more" lists.

I guess we all have our vices though. One of mine is stories. It's why when I'm not watching tv, most of the time I'm reading. Once I start, I just can't stop. I have to know what happens. It sucks when I start a book or a movie and realize very quickly that I don't like the story, cuz even then I can't put it down. I have to see it through to the end! It's why, no offense to whoever I'm hanging out with, if we're watching a movie or a show, if you start talking I'm going to pause and/or rewind when you're done. It's why I refuse to use the bathroom during movies. I hate the idea of missing some part of the story! (That makes me sound really lame when I put it out there like that. Oh well, if I can't be myself here....)

But anyways, yes, that is time that could be well spent doing other things. Baking, painting, taking a walk, taking pictures. I am going to make one baby step though, and thanks to my friend who already got one and loves it, I'm going to get a Gazelle I think. And no, I'm not talking some animal you see while on safari in Africa. I'm talking about that cheesy exercise machine you saw all the infomercials for back in the 90s or whenever it was. I figure if I can keep that down in the basement and whenever I'm watching a movie or tv, rather than sitting on my butt, I can do this instead and at least do a little bit of exercising.

Speaking of which, this is another I'm guilty of being an all or nothing perfectionist in the past. So instead I'm currently following/putting together a bit of a mishmash routine. lol. Besides the Gazelle I hope to get with my next pay check, I've been working out with one of my roommates ocassionally. She wanted to start P90X together. Our schedules don't match up very often though, so so far I've really only worked out with her a handful of times. But as she's doing at my house (as opposed to when I was doing it with my other friend last year and had to drive over to her place and back everyday for it) it'll be fairly simple for me to join her when I'm able to- some mornings, some afternoons.

And lastly, I think I'm going to join a gym. I've been hesitant to do so, as it would be another monthly expense. Especially when I thought I'd be doing P90X every day again. But since that's turning out not to be everyday.... my other roommate had a free pass for a friend to go with her to LA Fitness the other day, so I went swimming with her, and o...m...g! So much fun! It was so relaxing to get in the water and just do my own thing for 40 minutes. And it's go so many other advantages! First off, swimming is just great exercise in general. It's also high resistance due to the water, but at the same time less of an impact when it comes to things like shin splints and stuff. It also has the added benefit that I don't get all hot and sweaty and yucky. Do I shower afterwards, yes- but to get rid of the chlorine. Not because I feel gross. And I'm not wanting to quit after a few minutes cuz I'm just so dang hot and uncomfortable! So just that alone was enough to convince me join. But besides access to an indoor lap pool, I'll also be able to take classes (I've been thinking about a bike/spinning class) AND John is a member of LA Fitness, so we can have work out dates! How dorky but fun does that sound? I think that all of that warrants enough reasons to justify the $30 or so a month, right? (Plus, I think Emory employees get a discount.)

So that's my hodge-podge workout regimen. It's better than nothing.

Tonight I'm off to hang out with Sunny after work. I've decided to take her out to dinner on Wednesdays when I watch her to make it seem more like real sister hang out time as opposed to babysitting. I thought maybe she'd feel kind of cool if instead of sitting at home at the kitchen table reviewing her homework over a plate of Hamburger Helper, we got dinner out then headed over to Starbucks for some hot chocolate and studied there instead.


PS- Davey- if you happen to read this, don't forget to wish Dad a happy birthday today!!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. I am currently following Greys Anatomy and Gossip Girls. I do want to start Desperate housewives and private practice but I feel like you have to start from the beginning in order to understand which I will do in time. Unfortunately I cant do this at work so I always end up staying up later than I should in order to fit in an episode or three into my schedule.

    I go to the gym every night and do the classes. I hated spin at first its definitely something you got to get used to. My butt hurt sooo bad after my first ride. I recommend zumba. It’s the most popular class at my gym and it rocks. Yes you get sweaty, but its usually a fun sweaty. Also, lots of middle aged people who cant dance are in the class so don’t be afraid to look like an idiot haha. I am jeolous you get a pool though!! I don’t know if I would use it but I think I would just love the option at least.

    ReplyDelete